9/30/2007

Music to My Ears

Cleaning the house sucks!!! There's no other way to put it....but it has to be done. Since October is upon us, I realized that it is time to put out all of our fall decorations. But...in order to do that, I desperately needed to clean up my current situation. Spence's room was a disaster, as was the craft room and the living room stays in disarray. The task seemed almost too much to accomplish, but after rallying the troops (one, which can't even walk yet), we managed to get it done.

I pulled out all of the fall/Halloween/thanksgiving deco. It seems like just yesterday that I put it away. It's so hard to believe that Olive wasn't even here last fall. I can't remember life without her. Well, that's not true. I remember playing with Spence at the Pumpkin Patch last year and thinking that next year (now this year) we would have a little girl with us.

This weekend, Mom hung out with Spence and I and brought her Neil Diamond CD. Spence, of course, fell in love with some of the songs, but come Sunday, we had to give it back, and he was not happy!! My precious boy, he's such a music lover. So, tonight he and I downloaded some classic Neil Diamond songs to burn onto a CD. ( I highly recommend limewire.com). I can't listen to Neil Diamond and not think of my Dad. Neil, Barry and Engelbert were staples in my musical diet as a child. Especially Neil. The song "Heartlight" always reminds me of Dad. I downloaded it tonight and became teary eyed listening to it. Spence noticed, but didn't say anything. He's an old soul in that sense....he loves and understands music enough to recognize the emotion that it may accompany. There are times, riding in the car, where he refuses to talk to me, and just insists that I play a certain song for him. I respect it though, and will play whatever he wants.

Just a note, I never did allow "kids music" in the car. I wanted Spence to get an ear for music by listening to my music. He also listens to Larry's music (i.e.: guns&roses, Elvis Costello, Paul Simon, Beatles).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tirzah the sight is adorable. Olivia's hair looks a little red. It's beautiful. Both of them are so precious and your running commentary is awesome. Looking forward to seeing you guys on Sunday. Hope you're feeling better.