10/05/2007

Balancing Act

No school for Spence today, which translates to: No free-time for me this morning. We actually met up with Spencer's friend Tyler and his little brother Ryan at a nearby park. The boys ran around for a while while Olive had a snack, her first nutrigrain bar and she loved it ! Then we had lunch at Chic-fil-A. Spence had fun and I was able to hang out with Tyler's mom, Amy. Here is a pic of my munchkins.

It's funny, the social conversations you have now versus before you had kids. Now, Everything somehow works its way back to the kids. Every topic manages to relate to them. It's true that having children changes your life, but you don't even realize the magnitude most of the time because you are so caught up in being a mom. A wise woman once told me that you lose much of yourself to your children, and it's so true. So how does one find themselves again, or is it a lost cause? I guess you can never find that old self, it doesn't exist anymore. Don't misunderstand me, I love my kids, I'm just wondering, seeking some sort of balance. I know my friends who are mothers reading this have to agree with me. Although, they may have other outlets where they "get away", maybe this is something I should consider. A trip to Tahiti would be nice...but not in the cards anytime soon unfortunately.

I'm attaching a video of Olive from this afternoon. She was feeding her cookies to Bob...her new best friend.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting "get away" choice... Who knows what could happen in 40 years or so... If not, it is OK to dream...

Looks as if Olive will be walking soon, so dream on...

Tirzah said...

Yeah, I don't know where I came up with that, but 40 years sounds about right. Sad, isn't it... but on the upside of things, I'm sure I will qualify for some sort of senior citizen discount.