7/25/2007

The long and whining road

This week has been rough. One of the dispatchers where Larry works had a death in the family and has been out all week, which means Larry has had to work both of his off days. In short, he hasn't had much sleep at all. I had actually planned to increase my hrs. at work this week. I managed to do it yesterday b/c Spence was at the Raible's, but today will be impossible since Larry is resembling the walking dead.

Without camp, I am finding myself at a loss for ideas to keep Spencer busy, and when he is bored, he WHINES...A LOT! This is a huge issue right now and is seriously wearing on my patience. Not only is he whining, but he wants me to attend to him at all times, he won't play by himself or even in my vicinity. I am going to try the library today, but last time he had a major meltdown. We have 2 boys his age that live behind us, but they are still in camp each day until noon. They play together all afternoon/evening though, which is good. Olive is restless herself...she won't be held and is frustrated that she can't crawl yet. She gets mad and yells out when she can't do it. I have to keep a very close eye on her, the other day she pulled a bow out of her hair and stuck it in her mouth while I was holding her. Her hair has gotten so long that it hangs down in her eyes, so I usually keep a bow in it to hold it back, but now I don't know what to do. I hate to cut her hair, but I don't' want her choking to death on a bow either.

Last night I went to the Mom's group meeting at Church. I am trying to become more involved, eventhough now as an adult, it is not in my nature to sit through things like this. We had to play the game where everyone goes around the room and tells things about themselves. They passed a roll of toilet paper and everyone pulled off some and based on how many squares you pulled, that is how many facts you had to share about yourself. I can't stand this sort of contrived method of forced friendship. Knowing the game from countless sorority "getting to know you" events, I pulled off the fewest squares possible. Luckily, my friend Sarah was there and I didn't have to face it alone. She knew the game as well, pulled off 3 squares. The meeting wasn't all bad though and I plan on volunteering on a comittee that welcomes new babies and supports new moms and moms having trouble with pregnancy loss/special needs kids, etc. I figure that I am qualified for all of this based on my personal experience and work experience.

Must go get the little ones dressed, run to Target and then Library.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really do enjoy "Following Spence and Olive." It is a breath of fresh air for me.

BEST