11/18/2007

My Weekend in Gatlinburg


I spent this weekend in Gatlinburg attending a Regional Jewelry Expo. Marci and I left Friday afternoon, and I realized as we drove away..... that I have never left Spencer (or Olive for that matter). He usually leaves me and goes with Larry on some soccer trip, but I'm never the one who goes away. It was hard. But, he stayed strong long enough to help me put my bags in the car and then he broke down crying. It was a much needed break for me though.

The drive wasn't too bad and we made it there in about 4 hours. Our hotel wasn't the best. It was a Comfort Inn and was located right down the street from the convention center.....but it was one of those hotels where you enter your room from the outside. Does that mean its considered a motel? Anyway, it wasn't the most upscale place I've ever stayed.

Friday evening, Marci and I hit a few outlet stores and then had dinner. When we returned and were walking from the parking lot to the room, I heard Marci say "Oh My God". I looked up and noticed that our room door was cracked open. We both froze in horror. She, a braver woman than I, said she would go in and check it out. I stood in the parking lot, ready to run and call for help if I heard screams, or if she wasn't out in a few seconds to give me the thumbs up. She didn't find anyone and nothing was missing.....both of our laptops were in there. After checking every corner (I even checked the mini fridge), we decided that it must have been our fault. The doors there don't shut automatically (like normal HOtels) and I guess we didn't close it all the way when we left for dinner.

After a fair night's sleep at best (there was the lingering thought of "what if there is a psycho killer still hiding in here somewhere), we headed out to the convention center for the big show. We shopped for 8 hrs. straight. I was ready to give up many times, but Marci kept saying "you can do it, hang in there...one foot in front of the other", and I didn't want to let her down....but I was miserable... dying to get out of there. My left foot hurt and my back/neck/arms/legs/etc... were hurting and people kept running into me. I mean, it was crazy the amount of people who would bump into me. It was annoying the heck out of me and was really baffling.....then I realized that they were all dead tired too and were stumbling around aimlessly just like me. There weren't many "Marci's" out there who could keep on going and going..and going....I'm glad she is a tenacious shopper though...we found many good buys that hopefully can be resold for a decent profit. I also picked up some Christmas gifts too!! My biggest buy of the day was $15 smocked dresses for Olive!!!

It was nice to get home today. Spence ran out and welcomed me with a big hug....Olive acted like she didn't really know me and wouldn't let go of her Daddy to give me a hug. Of course, a few hrs. later and she's warmed up to me again. Now I have to mentally prepare for the week ahead..thankfully its only a 3 day work week!!

No comments: